Friday, February 03, 2006


Live Music at Freedom Hall in Johnson City

Music, live music in particular, has been topic A among my friends this week. We've been talking about the good old days when Freedom Hall in Johnson City was a hot bed for live music shows.

I'm trying to assemble a list of the big acts that have played there over the years.

Any list starts with the three shows by Elvis in the spring of 1976.

Bruce Springsteen was there around the same time and played to a decidedly less than capacity house.

John Prine suffered the same fate in '75 or '76. I seem to recall he opened the show by opining, "Looks like a few thousand people are gonna miss this show."

Linda Ronstadt performed in the mid-seventies with Al Stewart as her opening act.

Help! Remember any other big Freedom Hall shows and their dates?

8 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw ZZ-Top, with opening act Blackfoot, on April 15, 1977 (I still have the ticket stub.) Great show! Part of their "World Wide Texas Tour".

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure of dates... Rush, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Huey Lewis and the News, Def Leppard, AC DC, Stone Temple Pilots, Cheap Trick, John Mayer, Elton John, Jethro Tull and many others...

Just found your blog!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw Jimmy Buffett at least twice there in the 70's.
Also the Eagles and J. Geils Band and Heart.
Of course the best was the first Elvis show.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived within walking distance of FH in the mid seventies. I can remember seeing Ike and Tina Turner, Doobie Brothers twice, Eagles, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, America, Neil Sedaka, Ferrante and Teicher, and of course Elvis.

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't remember exact dates, but it was late seventies ('77 - '80) because I was in high school. In addition to those already mentioned, I saw the Beach Boys and Tom Jones there

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one has mentioned Aerosmith, Boston (a great concert) and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. I saw the Marshall Tucker Band too along with most the others have posted..

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Susan Harrington said...

I saw Chicago there in 1978 and the Eagles in 1975. I think Linda Ronstadt was there in 1975 also.

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the first show there, Ike and Tina Tuner, I saw REO Speedwagon it seemed like 20 times, saw Elvis, Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker several times also, but the greatest show I ever saw at Freedom Hall was Lynyrd Skynyrd. I saw them in 74 and again in 76, just shortly before the plane crash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home