Thursday, February 09, 2006


Is Dylan's 'Kingsport Town' Our Kingsport Town?

Bob Dylan recorded the song "Kingsport Town" in 1962 but it wasn't released until 1991, although it was widely bootlegged for years.

Here are the pertinent lyrics:

A winter wind is a-blowin' strong, my hands have got no gloves.

I wish to my soul that I could see the girl I'm a-thinking of.

Don't you remember me, babe, I remember you quite well,

It caused me to leave old Kingsport Town with a high sheriff on my trail.


Here's a sample of the song from amazon.com, which means it's an authorized clip.

I've heard for years that it was based on Kingsport but I have nothing to base it on. Except that the song also refers to Memphis:

Who's a-gonna kiss your Memphis lips when I'm out in the wind?

2 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know, the only other Kingsport is a quite small village in Nova Scotia. From Halifax, it's north, on the opposite side of the peninnsula, on a branch of the Bay of Fundy called the Minas Basin.

To be thorough, in Missouri there is a Kingsport Airport west of Springfield at Halltown; and there is a small community park and lake called Kingsport west of Chicago at Schaumburg.

I would expect that, given the Memphis reference, and the size of our Kingsport (and the lack of other sizeable Kingsports), that ours must be the one referenced in the song.

-L

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Susan Harrington said...

There is also a Kingsport Drive in Atlanta.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home