Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Times at the Kingsport Press

Mildred Davidson Smith sent me these photos from her time at The Press. She writes, "I went to work there in July 1946 at the age of 17 and at the big wage of 50 cents an hour with a bonus of 5 cents for working 2nd shift. My first job was cutting books at one of the large Singer Sewing machines and Phil Ernst kept my fingers taped after the blisters started. The 2nd shift Sheetroom crew was a family. We were friends and cared for each other and we had some good times, esp. on the Saturday nights when we brought in our covered dishes, made a table out of a gathering machine and dined all night...It is hard to lose an old friend and this friend has stood the test of times."

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Susan Harrington said...

Vince,
Break it to me gently, I can take it -- is The Press closed? I was not aware of it. Every member of my immediate family worked there at one time or another, except me, and that's why we moved to Kingsport in the first place.
Also, in case anyone at KTN is listening, I have tried the new on-line format; please tell them it weren't broke, don't fix it. Thanks.

Susan

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This 'old friend' kept a roof over my head as well as my childrens heads and kept food on our table. It makes me sick to know what it used to be and see what has happened to it now. I feel like I've lost a best friend.
Loretta McDaniel

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. this was an excellent find. phil ernst was my grandfather. he died when i was about four.i'd love to hear your impressions of him. if you could contact me, i'd really appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home