Saturday, January 20, 2007

Diana Ross and the Supremes in East Tennessee

The original "Dreamgirls," Diana Ross and the Supremes - known in 1964 simply as The Supremes - performed at Chuckey-Doak High School in Greene County sometimes in the summer of 1964 as a part of the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars.

When the Supremes started with the tour in May they were bottom billed. Then "Where Did Our Love Go" came out and starting climbing the charts and the Supremes starting climbing up the Caravan bill.

Here is a list of the artists who performed on the Caravan that summer. Some acts joined when others dropped off:

Gene Pitney

The Dixie Cups

The Rip Chords

Major Lance

The Shirelles

Mike Clifford

The Supremes

Round Robin

The Crystals

The Reflections

Dean & Jean

The Drifters


The Caravan played Roanoke the night before they played Chuckey-Doak. For photos from that show click here.


This is how the bus looked on the tour. That's Dick Clark at right.

I'm still trying to nail down that exact date of the show. If you know, help me out via email.

4 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Great artical, I was not aware that these soon to be musical legands played this region.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it was in February, 1964. I ws there

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger John Tullock said...

I was there, also, and I agree that it was in February. It was cold enough that I wore a mohair sweater.

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vince...I was there...it wasn't in the summer. It was during the school year and I was wearing my new white coat with fur collar that was an early Christmas present. So had to have been around Nov.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home