Friday, October 29, 2010

John King 1947-2010


Kingsport native, and my high school biology lab partner, Johnny King, died Tuesday after a short illness. John was a great drummer and great friend. He played drums on the platinum award winning Steve Miller album "The Joker" and during his career played with everyone from Elton John to the Beach Boys.

John went to the doctor Oct. 3 with a chest cold. X-rays revealed he had stage 4 kidney cancer. He died three weeks later without suffering.

Here is a link to The Joker video.

There's been controversy over the years about the word "pompatus" in the lyrics. John told me he thought Steve Miller just made it up. I found this online story about how actor Jon Cryer tracked down the meaning in the nineties after starring in a movie called "The Pompatus of Love."

2 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Vince - and I am sorry for your loss :( I never knew him or knew of him. I wish I had. I bet he had some really great stories of his experiences in music. May God bless and comfort his family in this very difficult time.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't figure out how to comment on your article today(May8, 2011) so appropriate for Mother's Day.
It brought tears to my eyes and a great warmth to my heart.
You have made your Mom very proud, I am sure.
Josie Reid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home