Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mother Maybelle's Gibson L-5 Guitar



This is the Carter Family in a 1931 photo published by the Kingsport Times News.




Moody's Music Store was selling guitars in 1927 as evidenced by this ad in the Times News.




In late 1928 Moody's was sold to Lamb Company of Knoxville.




The Carters performed at Lamb's Music Store, 110 East Market, in March 1929. I think this is when Maybelle saw the famous Gibson guitar that her husband Eck would later return and buy for her.

1 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am disappointed that the picture link doesn't show the image, but delighted that the mystery may be solved! Thanks for the paper clippings. I am a big fan of Maybelle's and the Carter Family.

I had asked the Kingsport Historical Society if they new what music store Maybelle's guitar came from (or what music stores were available in Kingsport), but they said they did not have time to accommodate my request. If I ever pass through Kingsport, I will make a point to visit this place where Lamb music was once there.

Kevin Shea, Beacon NY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home